Released to all wire services and Media outlets
May 1, 2023
The Federal Government of Ethiopia has declared an all-out war on the Amhara region after a relative peace and silencing of the guns from the devastating war in northern Ethiopia. There are credible indications that the Ethiopian government is committing war crimes using all its arsenal, including the Air Force. Unless this brazen aggression is immediately stopped, thousands of Amharas will be killed, with devastating humanitarian consequences that can spillover into the wider community of nations. The Middle East and Europe will be flooded with unprecedented refugee crises. This brutal onslaught will only galvanize stiff resistance and further destabilize the country triggering a collapse of law and order.
We call upon the international community and their partners to give the utmost attention to the war declared on the Amhara people by Abiy Ahmed and his generals. This unlawful operation must be stopped at the flashpoint areas of Amhara region. The government has also cracked down on non-Oromo speaking residents of Addis Ababa, restricting people’s movements, launching house-to-house kidnappings. The bank accounts of Amhara businessmen have also been frozen.
Eritrea, Turkey, Russia, China, India, USA, AU, UN, EU and other members of the International Community should never undestimate this new declaration of an all-out war on the Amhara people.
Therefore, the International Community should call upon the Government of Ethiopian to:
- Immediately stop the war against the Amhara people.
- Stop the Amhara Genocide in Wolega zones of Oromia region and Northern Shewa zones of the Amhara region
- Stop the ethnic cleansing of the Amharas from Addis Ababa and surrounding cities
- Stop the systematic demolition of Amhara and other non-Oromo Ethiopian homes in Addis Ababa and its environs
- Free the over 10,000 Amhara political prisoners in Addis Ababa and the over 20,000 political prisoners in the Amhara region.
We urge this conflict to be handled through dialogue and not through civil war.
- All Shewa Ethiopian People Multipurpose International Association
- Adwa Great African Victory Association (AGAVA)
- Amhara Dimtse Serechit
- Amhara Wellbeing and Development Association
- Communities of Ethiopians in Finland
- Concerned Amharas in the Diaspora
- DC Task Force
- Ethio-Canadian Human Rights Association
- Ethiopian Dialogue Forum (EDF)
- Freedom and Justice for Telemt Amhara
- Global Alliance for Justice – The Ethiopian Cause
- Global Amhara Coalition
- Global Ethiopian Scholars Initiativ (GESI)
- Gonder Hibret for Ethiopian Unity
- Major Lemma Woldetsadik Memorial Foundation
- Network of Ethiopian Scholars (NES)
- Radio Yenesew Ethiopia
- Selassie Stand Up, Inc.
- The Ethiopian Broadcast Group
- Vision Ethiopia (VE)
- Worldwide Ethiopian Civic Associations Network (WE-CAN)