Reporter – Mareshet Meshesha
Ethiopians residents of Perth, Western Australia made a strong protest rally at the offices of the Federal Minister of Justice and member for Stirling, The Hon. Michael Keenan. The protest was organised by community and civic groups and was attended by 150 men, women, young adults and children.
The protesters made it clear that they were not happy about the response, or the lack of it there of, of the Australian Government regarding the deteriorating human rights situation in Ethiopia. The protesters called out the names of the prime minister (Malcolm Turnbull), the foreign minister (Julie Bishop) and the Justice minister (Michael Keenan) and demanded Australia help stop the genocide and egregious abuse of human rights by the tplf regime in Ethiopia.
The protesters also handed their demands in detailed writing, focusing on the current escalating political situation and encapsulates the following points be undertaken by the Australian Government immediately.
1. stop all budgetary aid to the TPLF/EPRDF regime
2. Immediately summon the TPLF/EPRDF regime ambassador and take a stand against the oppression and suppression of the people of Ethiopia
3. Stop all non-essential development aid unless conducted by Australian NGO’s
4) Stop Australian banks from accepting such stolen money from Ethiopia. 5) Confiscate all ill gotten wealth brought to Australia by TPLF/EPRDF members, their family members and supporters and keep in custody and return to a government elected by the people of Ethiopia.
5) Condemn the TPLF/EPRDF for the egregious abuse of human rights. and
6) as Australia is a member of many international organisations, including the UN, the Human Rights Counsel, the IMF, the World Bank, use its position and influence to deny the TPLF/EPRDF regime any access to and political and economic advantage from these organisations.
The protesters also demanded the immediate release of all political prisoners and prisoners of conscience. They vowed to remain united and continue to lobby the Australian Government to help Ethiopians build a democratic and just government.