PORTLAND, Ore. — A former Providence nursing assistant arrested in 2016 for sexually abusing several patients will be sentenced to 25 years in prison as part of a negotiated plea agreement.
Adeladilew Mekonen on Friday pleaded guilty to multiple sex crimes. He was previously indicted for 28 crimes (listed below) against 12 female patients. Seven of those women were under his care at Providence St. Vincent Medical Center.
Mekonen’s charges were:
- One count of first-degree sexual abuse
- Nine counts of third-degree sexual abuse
- One count of first-degree rape
- One count of first-degree kidnapping
- Four counts of first-degree sexual penetration
- Three counts of third-degree sexual abuse
- Four counts of second-degree sexual abuse
- Five counts of first-degree sexual abuse
Mekonen will be formally sentenced on Feb. 22.
He began working at Providence St. Vincent Medical Center as a certified nursing assistant in May 2016. Providence said Mekonen was placed on administrative leave following the complaints and was fired immediately after his arrest.
Prior to working at Providence, Mekonen worked at West Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center in Portland. At least one victim from that facility has come forward.
Both of Mekonen’s former employers worked with the sheriff’s office during the investigation.
© 2017 KGW-TV